Santa Fe established the VALLEY FLYER on June 11, 1939.
Santa Fe's colorful Valley Flyer was operated to handle the increased travel to the Golden Gate International Exposition on Treasure Island. This was also to become known as the 1939 World's Fair or America’s World’s Fair on the Pacific.
The Valley Flyer ran between Oakland and Bakersfield.
There were only two of these 1913 Baldwin-built 4-6-2s engines, # 1369 and # 1376 which were 'dolled-up' to handle the four car matched paint which included a buffet-lounge car,
a diner car and two chair cars, all-heavyweight.
When not needed on the Valley Flyer run, it was used on
the Surf Line between Los Angeles and San Diego
Here is the Valley Flyer pulling into the Fresno yard
The colors for the flyer were black with silver on the side
With a red stripe on the top and a yellow stripe on the bottom
The Valley Flyer ran during the 1939 and 1940 Golden Gate
International Exposition season and then were discontinued.
Seven months after the train's last run on November 4, 1940,
their black paint would he restored and the running board
#1369 was built as a four-cylinder balanced compound for
mountain passenger service and rebuilt into a two-cylinder
simple engine in November of 1943 at the San Bernardino
shops. It retained 73-inch drivers, however increased steam
pressure raised tractive force from 33,400 to 39,650 pounds.
#1369 had a long career on the Coast lines and was not sold
for scrap until November 6, 1951. Sister #1376 was converted
to simple in September 1946 and was sold on August 22, 1950.
|Back To The Santa Fe Page